Dr. Jyoti Sharma is a fellow of future faculty programme of PHFI/ Wellcome trust. As a future faculty fellow she completed M.Sc. in Public health from University of Edinburgh and training in Nutrition Epidemiology from Imperial College, London. She holds a PhD in Nutrition from Devi Ahilya University, Indore.
Jyoti has extensive experience as an academician and research nutritionist. Before joining PHFI, she worked with Nagpur University and Govt. College for girls, Chandigarh as teaching faculty and engaged in teaching nutrition to under graduate and post graduate students. Her work is focused on nutrition issues of children in M.P., Rajasthan and Maharashtra. As a faculty she supervised student projects and coordinated research projects in area of public health nutrition, adolescent health and food safety.
At Indian Institute of Public Health Delhi, she is faculty lead for Distance Learning Diploma in Public Health Nutrition. She coordinates workshop on Nutrition epidemiology which is a part of workshop series at IIPH, Delhi and teaches nutrition module in various courses. She is also a part of training team for course on reproductive and child health.
Her research is focused on reproductive and child health and adolescent health. She is a part of research team preparing Status of Newborn in India Report. She conducted assessment of facility based newborn care interventions in Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan. She was member of research team to conduct evaluation of wheat flour fortification program implemented by WFP in MP. She also worked in WHO funded study on situational analysis of reproductive and sexual health of married adolescents in Rajasthan. Currently she is engaged in a multi centric study on diagnostic efficacy of Hemoglobin color scale, digital hemoglobinometer and non-invasive method for screening patients for anemia and other projects in Bihar and Haryana.
Areas of interest:
Maternal and child health and adolescent health, Public Health Nutrition
• Srivastava T, Negandhi H, Neogi S B, Sharma J, Saxena R “Methods for hemoglobin estimation: a review of “what works” ( Under Publication)
• Neogi SB, Pandey, S. Chauhan, M, Zodpey,S. Paul VK Association between Indoor air pollution and neonatal mortality: an analysis of Annual Health Survey results, India ( Paper under Publication)
• A report on Status of newborn in India. : Authored chapters on
-Newborn health in urban areas
-Social determinants of newborn health
• Training Modules for Short Course on Management of RCH programmes
• Sharma J, Gambhir,C. A study on Consumers Awareness about Quality and Safety of Packaged Foods in Chandigarh. Ind. J Nut. Diet (2009), 46,192.
• Sharma J. Working Hand in Hand – NGO Govt. partnership in child care, A Monograph Series No.8, M.S. Swaminathan Foundation, Chenai. (1996).