BackgroundPopulation based approaches have been the mainstay of research in the field of nutrition for decades. However, in an age of growing health consciousness and fitness, public health nutrition (PHN) workforce development is increasingly becoming a global focus. In an effort to provide direction to nutrition research in the country and with the objective of contributing towards training future leaders in the field of nutrition, the Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) launched a postgraduate diploma in PHN in the year 2010 for the benefit of all stakeholders. Its debut was met with unprecedented success and positive feedback and it is well posed this year on the academic and knowledge sharing landscape.
Aims and ObjectivesThis post graduate diploma aims to provide comprehensive training in public health nutrition in a global setting with the choice of specializing in a number of topics and in a range of contexts.
Course Design and DurationDesigned as a one year postgraduate diploma program, the course focuses on the following:
- Fundamentals of food science and nutrition
- Epidemiological methods of research, community nutrition and new innovations in/aspects of nutritional science
Eligibility CriteriaThe course is open to the following candidates:
- Graduates in all disciplines, especially public health, nutrition and medicine.
- Paramedical personnel, including nurses, social workers, public health educators and health assistants.
- Researchers from nutrition and allied fields, including clinicians involved in nutrition research.
- Nutrition program related practitioners in the public and private sectors.
This integrated program covers dietary, epidemiological, public health, social and biological aspects of nutritional science. Special topics include bio statistics, maternal and child nutrition, food policy, nutrition program planning, monitoring and evaluation and nutritional epidemiology.
Teaching & Training MethodologyThe course will be delivered in the hybrid/blended learning mode, i.e., through a mixture of recorded and live e‐learning sessions that will be conducted by faculty members with students logging in from their location. The greatest advantage of e‐learning is that students can learn at their own pace. The offline components of the course (a written manual) will be complemented by online lectures (online sessions using power‐point presentations).
EvaluationStudents will be evaluated through a combination of individual module assessments, final online examination at the end of year and a project report to be submitted after 9 months of completion of the course.The research project in the form of a project synopsis will enable participants to work on a subject of special interest, practice skills of analysis and presentation, and integrate different aspects of course work.
- Duration: 1 Year
- Brochure: Download
- Program Fee: Indian: 36000 INR , South Asian Candidates : SAARC states "Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka".600 USD , Other International Candidates: 1200 USD