The Certificate Course on Improving Management of Public Health Programs - Tools and Strategies is a three-month distance learning program designed to develop operational, management and analytical skills of public health leaders and managers. The program has developed as a result of a realization that often public health programs with the best of intentions fail to achieve the desired objective because of poor planning, implementation hurdles and lack of monitoring and control of resources.
Aims and Objectives
The objective of this program is to build the operational, management and analytical skills of public health leaders and managers who work in field locations. The program does not focus on technical skills related to specific health topics, but on the general capabilities to lead people, manage projects, assess performance and improve program quality that every public health worker in a leadership position must have.The distance learning program is particularly suited for Healthcare professionals already working within the health system and engaged in delivery of health services but who have limited access to higher education because of personal or professional reasons. By end of the program participants are expected to:
- Orientation to key public health challenges
- What are the key public health challenges?
- What are the requisite managerial competencies needed to address these challenges?
- Tools for program planning
- What are some of crucial tools for program planning?
- How to develop a program plan?
- How to conduct a situation analysis and SWOT analysis?
- Tools for program management
- How to use a framework for program monitoring?
- How to ensure data quality?
- What are the different program evaluation designs?
- Planning and Analyzing Financial Resources
- How to prepare a program budget?
- How to conduct economic evaluation of a program?
- Personnel Effectiveness, Motivation and Leadership
- How to improve performance through better human resource management?
The certificate program will be useful to public health managers (both government and non government) concerned about the efficiency, effectiveness and impact of their work.
Person working with government (for example district program managers, state level program managers) and non-government organizations (for example program officers / managers / coordinators) at managerial positions will stand to gain most from this program.
Teaching & Training Methodology
The course is designed as a three months certificate course offered in computer based distance learning mode. The program will be based on a combination of weekly online lectures (asynchronous), inter-active discussion board, electronically submitted assignments supported with recommended readings from journals and books. Lectures, case studies, real life management situations, and group activities will be the key pedagogy for the course delivery.
Evaluation will be through online based written assignments, short tests, module exams and participation in online interactive sessions.
- Starts: 15 Jan, 2017
- Last date for applying: 15 Jan, 2017
- Duration: 3 Months
- Brochure: Download
- Program Fee: Indian: 9000 INR , South Asian Candidates : SAARC states "Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka".140 USD , Other International Candidates: 330 USD